Terroir 2008 banner
IVES 9 IVES Conference Series 9 Copper, iron and zinc in surface layer of Primošten vineyard soils

Copper, iron and zinc in surface layer of Primošten vineyard soils


Long-term use of copper fungicides causes increased accumulation of total copper in the surface layer of vineyard soils. Many of authors has researched the anthropogenic influx of copper in such soils, which can result in environmental risks. The research revealed that vineyard soils contain 288.52 mg/kg of copper, 102.20 mg/kg of zinc, and 28.86 g/kg of iron on average. Considering the average concentrations of the metals under research, all soils under research are highly contaminated with zinc (So=0.50), and polluted with copper (So=4.76), according to Bašić (1994). Each of the vineyard soils under research is contaminated with copper, according to the “By-laws on Protection of Cultivated Land from Contamination by Hazardous Substances” (National Gazette No. 15/1992). There is a significant difference in concentrations of total copper between the vineyard and forest soils based on the variant analyses results (Fexp = 5.60*). The research results indicate that copper and zinc are fully correlated. 94.09% of the total copper variation occurred due to a modified concentration of total zinc in the soil, while the remaining 5.91% was caused by some other factors. According to the same results, copper and iron are very weakly negatively correlated. 1.7% of the total copper variation occurred due to a modified concentration of total iron in the soil, while the remaining 98.3% was caused by some other factors. The results are a contribution to the inventory of heavy metals in vineyards.


Publication date: December 8, 2021

Issue: Terroir 2008

Type : Article


Elda VITANOVIĆ (1), Željko VIDAČEK (2), Miro KATALINIĆ (1), Sonja KAČIĆ (1), Boško MILOŠ (1)

(1) Institute for Adriatic Crops and Karst Reclamation, Put duilova 11, 21000 Split, Croatia
(2) Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Pedology, Svetošimunska 35, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia

Contact the author


heavy metals, copper, iron, zinc, vineyard (anthropogenic) soils


IVES Conference Series | Terroir 2008


Related articles…

Physiological and growth reaction of Shiraz/101-14 Mgt to row orientation and soil water status

Advanced knowledge on grapevine row orientation is required to improve establishment, management and outcomes of vineyards on terroirs with different environmental conditions (climate, soil, topography) and in view of a future change to more extreme climatic conditions. The purpose of this study was to determine the combined effect of row orientation, plant water status and ripeness level on the physiological and viticultural reaction of Shiraz/101-14 Mgt.

Effects of mechanical leafing and deficit irrigation on Cabernet Sauvignon grown in warm climate of California

San Joaquin Valley accounts for 40% of wine grape acreage and produces 70% of wine grape in California. Fruit quality is one of most important factors which impact the economical sustainability of farming wine grapes in this region. Due to the recent drought and expected labor cost increase, the wine industry is thrilled to understand how to improve fruit quality while maintaining the yield with less water and labor input. The present study aims to study the interactive effects of mechanical leafing and deficit irrigation on yield and berry compositions of Cabernet Sauvignon grown in warm climate of California.

The effects of cane girdling on berry texture properties and the concentration of some aroma compounds in three table grape cultivars

The marketability of the table grapes is highly influenced by the consumer demand; therefore the market value of the table grapes is mainly characterized by its berry size, colour, taste and texture. Girdling could cause accumulation of several components in plants above the ringing of the phloem including clusters and resulting improved maturity. The aim of the experiments was to examine the effect of girdling on berry texture characteristics and aroma concentration.

Application of a fluorescence-based method to evaluate the ripening process and quality of Pinot Blanc grape

The chemical composition of grape berries at harvest is one of the most important factors that should be considered to produce high quality wines. Among the different chemical classes which characterize the grape juice, the polyphenolic compound, such as flavonoids, contribute to the final taste and color of wines. Recently, an innovative non-destructive method, based on chlorophyll fluorescence, was developed to estimate the phenolic maturity of red grape varieties through the evaluation of anthocyanins accumulated in the berry skin. To date, only few data are available about the application of this method on white grape varieties.

Different yield regulation strategies in semi-minimal-pruned hedge (SMPH) and impact on bunch architecture

Yields in the novel viticulture training system Semi-Minimal-Pruned Hedge (SMPH) are generally higher compared to the traditional Vertical Shoot Positioning (VSP). Excessive yields have a negative impact on the vine and wine quality, which can result in substantial losses in yield in subsequent vintages (alternate bearing) or penalties in fruit quality. Therefore yield regulation is essential. The bunch architecture in SMPH differs from VSP. Generally there is a higher amount but smaller bunches with lower single berry weights in SMPH compared to VSP.